April 8, 2009

Adventures in Orthodontics

Scrub bathrooms or blog? I'm sure I can find another subject to write about...
When Bethany's braces were removed, Dr. A told me that I could access some of the pictures that were taken of the girls in their office. Unfortunately (or fortunately for them) Megan and Kenna's "before" pictures were before digital cameras. I'll begin with Megan's 2001 "after picture".2001 was also the year Bethany began her orthodontic visits - a retainer for her underbite. Dr. A still calls Bethany, "my princess" because of this picture:
Kenna's 2nd set of braces came off in 2002. First came a thumbguard retainer when 7 years old, then in middle school, her first set of braces to move her upper teeth, which had been shifted over a tooth by her thumb. Next came the full set of braces! Kenna was in braces for 5 years, but still was younger than Meg and Marah when they came off. (I still don't regret letting her suck her thumb - my only baby that actually slept!)
Marah will HATE this picture - it's her "before" picture in 2004. She looks so young! Is that a tear in her eye? She must have thought she was getting a shot.We assumed Bethany would be 14 years old like her sisters when she got her full set of braces. We didn't put money in our flex spending for braces payments in 2006 because Marah's were paid in full already. Surprise! At the February 2006 checkup, Dr. A announced that Bethany was ready for braces. WHAT??? Marah's were still on, and she was almost 17! Beth, of course, was thrilled. (She probably won't be thrilled when she realizes that this picture is on the blog, but I'm not the one who took it - blame Dr. A)
In April 2006, Marah's braces finally came off!
February 25, 2009 - the grand finale - Bethany's "after" picture.
But they all still wear their retainers!

Four daughters and four sets of braces!

0 comments: