February 16, 2009

It's Kenna Nenna's Birthday

Twenty-two years and two hours ago (and nine days overdue), I woke our neighbor Jill Gibson, who woke her baby Mallorie, to come stay with Megan while I went to the hospital. I'd been in labor most of the night (showered, did laundry, cleaned). As it turned out, I could have stayed home for MANY more hours... Poway hospital was a very unique experience. As I walked in, they excitedly announced "Redhead". Apparently, redheads are 'bleeders' so I was immediately given an IV (which now is standard for all). I wasn't given an epidural because 'it slows down 2nd babies'. My first nurse had returned for a second shift before Kenna arrived - and that was without an epidural...Kenna was born with crossed eyes and dark hair that stuck out in all directions - stress from too many hours of labor??? Oh, and she spent the next 24 hours hooked up to a heart monitor. Scary!My parents hosted an 'early' surprise birthday party last month - delivering Kenna's 'big' gifts. After 4 years of communal college living, most everything has worn out, been lost/borrowed, or broken. Her gifts - a little TV and a tiny refridge - to put in her room! Kenna's birthday plans - sleep!!! (no school today) She spent the last 36 hours babysitting her friend's four preschoolers.

We send big birthday hugs and kisses (especially wet dog kisses from your two dog children). Love ya Nenna Kenna!!!