August 21, 2009

Bethany is a Nighthawk

August 6th - who starts school the first week in August?!?! Ironwood Ridge... Actually other Tucson schools started earlier. It's 108 so might as well be in an air-conditioned classroom?

Gratefully, the most important high school questions were answered a week earlier at registration - which lunch do I have, and do my friends have the same lunch? YES, whew!

Bethany didn't seem nervous or excited. Maybe our crazy summer of here a week, gone a week, didn't allow for much contemplation. Then the night before, it became real. "Mom, don't make me ride the bus on my first day of school, please..." Did I? Well if I did, I'm certainly not going to admit it and be harassed by her sisters who regularly accuse me of spoiling Bethany. Wait, I already did on Facebook. I'm as bad as teens for divulging secrets there... Yes, I cried as I watched Bethany bravely walk through those gates alone. She was excited and terrified - AND only got lost twice (but was never tardy). She has been tardy once since. Of course, it was locker related (PE). Middle lockers were not a pleasant experience for Beth. MANY tears in 6th grade.

The second day, Bethany wanted to ride the bus... The older girls hated the bus, but Bethany whines if I need to take her or pick her up and can't ride the bus. Seminary started the next Monday so that was her only AM bus ride. Now she only rides the PM bus.

Seminary - 7AM - they call it 'early morning', but those of us who had it at 6AM roll our eyes. Two weeks and not a tardy there either - even in a carpool. I give Bethany an A+ for high school transition!
And before her sisters start harassing her... Yes, the shorts went bye-bye (her idea). In case any decide to comment or give a lecture, I have plenty of scandalous shorts pictures - no daughter survived high school unscathed.

4 comments:

vanessa v said...

I can't believe she started high school! Crazy how time flies... And you know that the "early morning seminary" of 7AM will get pushed back to at least 7:15AM... at least it always did when I was there!

Marah Catherine said...

Little bubba is all grown up! I wonder how long the being on time to seminary will last... Maybe she will be better than me. As for the shorts- I blame that fashion on the heat of arizona and stupidity :)

Tanya said...

I can't believe it is high school already! Seems just like yesterday she was sitting in my 5th grade classroom amazing me with her smarts!

Brian and Kenna said...

I didn't get dropped off on the first day of high school... and I'm pretty sure you didn't cry over me attending high school... Obviously we know who is the most spoiled child. :-D