March 8, 2008

Cathy's First Blog

It's a beautiful, quiet Saturday morning in Tucson. All the doors and windows are opened, and I am listening to the birds in the trees and a woodpecker busily at work on a tree limb. Our zoo of 'rescued' pets are enjoying the freedom to run in and out, and I'm enjoying not spending time letting one or the other in or out. (AZ pets - at least Tucson pets - are either indoor pets or become a meal for coyotes, bobcats, owls and hawks.) The cats are particularly at risk. Although Marah's duck met his demise when a bobcat jumped into our backyard.


February 16th was the 11th anniversary of our move to Tucson (and Kenna's 21st birthday). We never expected that AZ would be more than another short stop on Russell's career ladder, but here we are and here we expect to stay until retirement. It is home - although, it's getting to be a very empty home...

Megan (Megs to us) has been gone for almost five years. She married Jon just over two years ago and finished her senior year by independent study from Arkansas - graduating from BYU in December 2006. She and Jon just bought their first home (in Maryland) and are expecting their first child in July (a boy!).

Kenna left a year after Megs. She is in Provo - living the life of a full-time college student. Her major has changed several times, but always stayed in the sciences. She's a pre-med, straight A student, and has earned a full-scholarship! For fun, Kenna comes home and paints (I have beautiful accent walls!)

Marah is enduring the last months of high school. She's off to join Kenna at BYU in August. I'm surprised that she doesn't have a paper chain counting the days (like she made when waiting to drive). Although I'm dreading saying goodbye to another child, I am excited for Marah to start her next adventure in life.

Bethany is quite angry that she will be left as a only child for five years. She says I waited too long to have her (seems to me that I was pregnant for 3-years trying to get her). She is excited to take over Marah's bedroom (which Marah stole from Kenna). The downside to that bedroom is that the dogs come with it!

Russell is busy blasting off new Raytheon toys, playing basketball at 5am (insane), and being Young Men's president. I chase animals, teens and walk around in a sleep-deprived haze. I'm hoping for a few years of sleep after Marah leaves and before Bethany gets to that stage. I am looking forward to the grandma stage of life. I've already bought some cuddly blankets and cardboard books!

Quiet is over - Bruce wants his paw held and Callie needs her allergy meds. I hear Bethany too - Cosby reruns... Time to be mean mom and say those hated words, "Saturday chores".


5 comments:

Brian and Kenna said...

you forgot to add... and kenna is a loser at UVSC. :-)

Megan and Jonny said...

Mom! I'm so proud. Your very first blog!

loriellen said...

Good job Cathy, I received Megan's St. Patricks day letter. It was great. The wedding was awesome. It looks like Natalie is up next. Roger's mom got an annoncement. It looks great. Tyler comes from a great family

Peggy said...

Way to go, Cathy. Your girls are keeping you up-to-date and hip. Congratulations on your grandson-to-be.
Like you, we're enjoying sunshine here, but have the windows and doors closed because we have snow on the ground. We'll be skiing for another 6-8 weeks yet.
I did get a warm weather "fix" not too far back when my neighborhood Spanish class took a field trip to Costa Rica for 9 days. There is nothing like jet skiing and seeing the Pacific Ocean sights one week and skiing at 11,000 feet the next.
I haven't heard any talk about a reunion, but have asked Denise to let me know if she hears anything.
Happy Easter.

KH said...

So wonderful to get your newsletters. Reading Megan's letters, I feel like I am listening to Cathy! Same wit and humor. Do send pictures of baby when he comes. I just got back from visiting Bryn and baby Stuart in England a couple weeks ago. It is very hard to be a long-distance gramma. Kelly Horrocks