December 15, 2008

Christmas Tree Tradition

The morning after Thanksgiving, Russell's grandfather loaded everyone on the tractor/sleigh and headed into mountains to pick out Christmas trees. When I married into the family 25 years again, that was still the tradition. Over the years, the tradition evolved into driving to Christmas tree farms. After moving to AZ, we rebelled and had an artificial tree. Last year an AZ version of the 'real' Christmas tree traditional was revived. WalMart parking lot became our Christmas tree farm... Greatly adapted, the tradition continues...

Before his flight back to Maryland, Grandpa took Seth to pick out his first Christmas tree.

Seth, oblivious to the immense importance of this occasion, spent the majority of it asleep.


Then it was time to say goodbye to Seth (and his parents):While Lori and I drove the Bloods to Phoenix for their flight home, Kenna pulled out all the Christmas boxes and started decorating. She even got her 'lame' (her words) younger sisters to help. They prefer to observe...Kenna bought in our little pine tree from the backyard and decorated it in AZ fashion.

I must confess that the boxes Kenna pulled out are still in the living room. I definitely fit into the 'lame' or 'lazy' or 'disorganized' category this year. I have exactly four days to finish before the college girls start arriving to a Christmas disaster!!! The stockings are hung, the nativity is on display and the packages are almost all shipped - I'm not a complete Christmas loser. Maybe tomorrow? Today is Russell's real birthday - time to make a cake with 7-minute frosting and wrap his 'boring' practical gifts (and remind him that he loves his camera!)

0 comments: